Hold an event where students take the pledge at www.itcanwait.com to join with people all across the country.
This initiative focuses on educating people – especially teens – about the dangers of texting and driving. The message is simple, yet vital: When it comes to texting and driving, it can wait. Each pledge made to never text while driving is a symbol of commitment to be part of a movement that helps everyone make safe choices with their wireless devices on the road.
Teens, on average, text five times more a day than a typical adult. That’s a lot of texting! And drivers that text while driving are much more likely to be in a crash. So we are partnering with teens to get the word out about the serious effect texting and driving could have on their friends, their loved ones, and their future. Together, we can all have a part in making sure no more lives are lost. No message is so urgent that it is worth diverting attention from the road and risking lives in the process.
It Can Wait.
To Complete the Activity:
- Visit the AT&T It Can Wait website and pledge to never text and drive.
- To do this, click the on either "Create Your Photo and Pledge" or "Or, just take the Pledge."
- Once you have pledged to never text and drive, click "Get Involved" at the top of your screen.
- Follow the "Get Involved" steps to earn points for your school:
Step 1: Get Personal - Swap in the "it can wait" logo for your profile picture on the day that you pledge (25 points). -Share the "it can wait" video stories on Facebook and Twitter (25 points).
Step 2 - Get Social - On Instagram, upload your photo with #itcanwait and tag your friends (50 points) - Share your personal story with #itcanwait on Facebook and Twitter (50 points)
Step 3 - Get Moving - Download the street activation kit and work with school officials to create posters and banners to display in your school.
- Take screenshots/photos of your Step 1, 2 and 3 activities
To Get Your Points:
- Complete the activity as described above.
- Take photos/video of students participating in the activity.
- Click "Submit Points."
- Fill out the online submission COMPLETELY
- Enter the name and email of the submitter
- Upload your photos/video and a brief description of the activity (including the date of completion and any people pictured in the photo).
- Multiple individual classroom presentations or school assemblies will only be approved as one submission
- Schools must take new photos with and submit these pictures to earn points again for the current year.
- Points for all award levels will be counted instantaneously, but the Silver Award will not be granted until a participating school has earned the Bronze Award!
Share photos and video to school social media sites
Questions? Contact Jackie Bain, SAFE Delaware County Coalition coordinator jbain@DelawareHealth.org or 740-203-2083